I recently finished reading "Positive Discipline, the First Three Years" and thought it was a great in helping me better understand what Elizabeth understands and needs now. One of the things that really stood out to me was the part about Praise versus Encouragement. We live in a society where we all seek after praise {especially including myself}. The praise though is something that can be a hindrance. It says that you just get recognition after you have done something. As for encouragement, it is saying that you believe in the person as they are working on something. So as a parent I am going to try to seek was to encourage Elizabeth more.
I have already found that to be encouraging instead of just praising is a difficult thing to do. Praising is such an ingrained thing. I have found that I have to think really hard to change the way I say something to make it as encouragement instead of just praise. I am looking for ways to help me better understand what encouragement is, and then make it into a habit to seek for ways that I can be encouraging.
I CAN DO IT!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment